Whether you are a Topgrader or not, these proven methods can save you a lot a time but maintain the standard of hiring all high performers, for ALL jobs. We keep learning from clients the time-saving methods that they have discovered, so this is a series of blogs and might go on and on indefinitely!
Before explaining time saving methods, please take a couple of minutes to learn the basics of Topgrading. Why? I want you to hire better, NOT just save time by mis-hiring people! If you aren’t familiar with Topgrading I want to get your attention: Topgrading for sure is the best, most effective, most proven method to hire. Learn by reading the couple of paragraphs below (one minute), go to www.Topgrading.com and download the free eGuide, which will take 15 minutes to read. Or be very impressed with the documented dozens of case studies at www.TopgradingCaseStudies.com. The first page is a Master Chart with all the results by company and that will take you one minute to skim through; or click on any company and read the details.
The average improvement hiring HIGH performers across all the companies is from 26% to 85% — that’s HIGH performers — and all the CEOs say Topgrading made the company more profitable. No other hiring approach we are aware of has even one case study with a fraction of those results, and not one has a CEO saying it improved profits of the company. Sorry for the sales pitch but if you haven’t heard of Topgrading, I wanted to let you know these tips will help you hire better AND save time.
Key Topgrading Steps:
- Job Scorecard. Topgraders convert a vague job description (which is confusing and leads to mis-hires) into a Job Scorecard with clear, measurable accountabilities (and that assures better hires).
- Recruitment. Everyone knows this, and Topgraders use job boards, but they say their best hires come from referrals a Player made – they recommend A Players they’ve worked with.
- Candidate Screening. In Topgrading candidates complete your application form infused with Topgrading IP including a “truth serum” that really works. The candidate presses Send and you get the Topgrading Snapshot, the best candidate screening tool ever created. Even before talking with candidate’s Topgraders know a) low performers have dropped out, b) liars with fictitious resumes have dropped out, c) full salary history, and d) how all bosses would rate their performance. Amazing but true!
- Phone Screen. After screening candidates with the Topgrading Snapshot, talk to candidates for the first time in a phone screen interview, to determine if it’s worth the time to bring the candidate in for a day of interviews. Phone interviews cover what the candidate is looking for and delves into the most recent two jobs.
- Visit to the company. Topgraders typically use competency Interviews and the Tandem (2 interviewers) Topgrading Interview during that day.
- Candidate-arranged reference calls. There is no phone tag because finalist candidates do arrange the calls, and these calls with managers and others YOU want to talk with provide solid verification of everything the candidate said.
Here are the most important hiring truths: More than half the people hired every day turn out to be disappointments because of rampant dishonesty (C Players lie and get away with it), shallow interviews, and weak verification (reference checks are almost worthless and everyone knows it so C players can get away with fudging the truth). Topgrading assures total honesty, the most revealing Topgrading Interview, and solid verification (in reference checks millions of A Players have arranged with former managers).
But, the biggest criticism of Topgrading is the time it takes. “It’s very time consuming to bring a candidate in for a full day to conduct maybe four 1-hour competency interviews plus a long, chronological Topgrading Interview; is a long Topgrading Interview of a manager worth the time?” Yes; of course, it is because that Topgrading Interview enables you to hire 75%, 80%, or even 90% high performers. Non-Topgraders mis-hire at least half the people they hire, and each managerial mis-hires cost them $500k+ plus 200 wasted hours.
Although Topgrading SAVES TIME, because mis-hires are avoided, clients have discovered many ways to save even more time.
TIME-SAVING METHOD #5: USE 2 INTERVIEWERS – THE TANDEM TOPGRADING INTERVIEW.
Huh? Won’t two interviewers ask more questions than one? Yes, but that’s the point – with different perspectives the interviewers will ask good questions the other didn’t think of. Solo interviewers tend to ask a question, hear responses, and then there is a long pause as the interviewer takes notes, so the second interviewer will move the interview along by asking questions.
Here is the BIG time saver with the tandem approach: it avoids more mis-hires! I’ll explain. When consulting with General Electric, CEO Jack Welch embraced the Topgrading Interview (solo), and GE went from 25% A Players hired to 50%. Not bad, right? Topgrading professionals were achieving almost perfect results: just about everyone we recommended for hire turned out to be A Players. Jack asked, “Brad, how can our managers do better?” I said, “In all the Topgrading workshops we use two interviewers and the tag team is better and quicker than solo interviews.” Done! He rolled out the tandem method, GE improved from 50% to over 90% hiring success and GE became the most valuable company in the world, and the most respected. Jack says Topgrading contributed to that success.