With a 4-year goal of 1.5% sales, our team has almost achieved it (1.57%) in only 3 years. Furthermore, efficiency has increased 10-fold and productivity is much improved. The only way we could have achieved those results is with Topgrading. - Bruce Leidal, CIO
CARESTREAM HEALTH IT DEPARTMENT (300 EMPLOYEES, GLOBALLY)
Industry: Health-Care Digital Solutions Highlights:
- Improvement from an estimated 30% to 74% As hired throughout the IT department.
- 100% of those hired for the leadership team have turned out to be A Players.
- How to Topgrade a department of a large company not using Topgrading (short answer—don’t ask, just do it, and send corporate HR to a Topgrading Workshop and they become supportive).
- How to achieve cost reductions and improve service.
Company: Carestream is a medical and dental imaging and IT solutions company with 7,200 employees globally. This case study is the IT department of about 300 people, led by Chief Information Officer Bruce Leidal, who joined in 2008.
The agreed upon challenge was to reduce the cost of IT from 3% of sales to 1.5% of sales, while improving efficiency and productivity throughout the business. Bruce learned Topgrading when he was the CIO at Hayes Lemmerz.
Topgrading History: Bruce conducted thorough talent reviews of his entire department. There had been less than 1% turnover for years, an indication of what the talent reviews revealed – mass complacency. He replaced all five direct reports, reduced over 100 staff, and added about 50 new people. Topgrading methods were and are used for all positions.
As a company, Carestream makes objective results part of the accountabilities in Job Scorecards. Bruce added a minimum ratings on general competencies. Why? He found that some people were achieving results but were such poor team players that they dragged down results of others and made the organization culture less attractive to prospective hires.
Topgrading Results: Pre-Topgrading hiring results are not available, but his results are:
- IT leadership team – 100% turned out to be A Players or A Potentials.
- Staff – 74% success across a global scope including China, Europe and US. A total of 46 people were hired. 34 were A/A Potential.
Business Results: With a five-year goal of reducing IT cost to 1.5% of sales, Bruce’s team has almost achieved it (1.57%) in only 3 years. Furthermore, efficiency has increased 10-fold and productivity across the business is much improved.
The only way we could have achieved those results is with Topgrading. - Bruce Leidal, CIO