If I hadn’t Topgraded, Mint.com would have failed. With Topgrading I sold the company to Intuit for $166 million.
– Aaron Patzer, Founder and Owner
The Company: Mint.com
No. of Employees: 40
Industry: Personal Finance Applications
- Start-up with Topgrading — 90% of people hired turned out to be A Players
- The Topgraded business was sold after 2 years for $166 million.
Quotes from the interview with Aaron Patzer, Founder and CEO:
- "Topgrading Third Edition" is the best, most valuable business book I’ve ever read.
- At age 25 I was working 75 hours per week and frustrated with the additional hours necessary to manage my personal finances using Money or Quicken. So I created and launched Mint.com, with occasional self-doubts. After all, I was attacking Microsoft and Intuit with no business experience, no leadership experience, no knowledge of Java Web services, and, by the way, no money.
- I’d never hired anyone but Topgrading gave me the roadmap to follow.
- I mis-hired only 4 people out of 40.